GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) – May 7, 2016, has been named Empty the Shelters day by the BISSELL Pet Foundation, when dog and cat adoption fees will be waived.
The foundation is sponsoring adoptions at 24 shelters around the state for one day – including 17 shelters in West Michigan — in an effort to encourage potential pet owners to adopt, according to a BISSELL release. Adoption fees normally range from $60 (for cats) to $150 (for dogs).
New pet owners will only be responsible for the licensing fee, which costs $7 to $12.
The BISSELL Pet Foundation will also be giving adopters an AdoptBox. The boxes include:
- Pet care guidelines
- 30 days of pet insurance
- Treats and toys
- Cleaning products
The AdoptBox aims to aid new pet owners with caring for the new furry member of their family.
Below are the participating shelters in West Michigan. For a full list of Michigan Shelters, check out the BISSELL Pet Foundation’s website.
- Al-Van Humane Society (South Haven)
- Barry County Animal Control (Hastings)
- Cannonsville Critters (Montcalm County)
- Crash’s Landing (Grand Rapids)
- Harbor Humane Society (West Olive)
- Heaven Can Wait Animal Haven (Muskegon)
- Humane Society & Animal Rescue (Muskegon)
- Humane Society of West Michigan (Walker)
- Ionia County Animal Shelter (Ionia)
- Kalamazoo Animal Rescue (Kalamazoo)
- Kent County Animal Shelter (Grand Rapids)
- Montcalm County Animal Shelter (Stanton)
- Pound Buddies (Muskegon)
- Pet Tales Rescue (Kentwood)
- SPCA of South West Michigan (Kalamazoo)
- Wishbone Pet Rescue Alliance (Allegan)
- Van Buren County Animal Control (Hartford)
The foundation is holding the one-day adoption event to reduce the number of animals that are euthanized each year in Michigan – which is around 40,000, the release said.
**Correction: An earlier version of this article stated adopters would have to purchase an AdoptBox. That was incorrect; the BISSELL Pet Foundation will be giving the boxes to adopters. The error has been corrected.