10 treated after house fire near Greenville

Firefighters: Fire may have sparked with damaged charging cord

Podunk and 14 Mile house fire Oakfield Township
Crews from multiple fire departments responded to the fire at 1200 block of 14 Mile Road/M-57 in Oakfield Township, west of Greenville. (July 19, 2016)

OAKFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Ten people were treated at the hospital following a late morning fire at a home west of Greenville Tuesday.

None of the injuries were life-threatening and all but one of the victims was released from the hospital Tuesday afternoon after suffering smoke inhalation.

The fire happened at a home in the 1200 block of 14 Mile Road/M-57 near Podunk Road NE in Oakfield Township. Children were playing with a damaged charging cord connected to an outlet when the fire began, firefighters on scene told 24 Hour News 8. They based that conclusion on what witnesses inside the home reported. The fire began in the living room and then spread.

A woman suffering from a lung condition was rescued by the homeowner while others escaped through an upstairs window onto the roof platform below, a family member told 24 Hour News 8.

14 Mile Road house fire Oakfield Township
Flames seen from home on 14 Mile Road/M-57 in Oakfield Township. (July 19, 2016)

At least six departments of volunteer firefighters responded to the blaze and utilized tanker trucks to bring in water.

“We have to start all back over,” said Carl Rood, who was in the basement of the home when the fire started. “Everything we got is sitting right there.”

Rood said the homeowner went back into the burning home twice to help everyone, including a disabled relative, get out.

Courtland Township Fire Chief Steve Mojzuk said the fire took some 90 minutes to get under control, largely because there were not enough volunteer firefighters available to respond immediately, a scenario not unusual during the day for volunteer fire departments. He said only three responded to the initial call. Once aid from other departments was called in, more than a dozen firefighters worked the blaze.

“We kept on calling for manpower and during the daytime we have no help,” Mojzuk, who managed the scene as Oakfield Township’s chief and deputy chief were not immediately available to respond, said.

Firefighters had to truck in water to fight the fire as there are no fire hydrants in the area.

Rood said he’s grateful none of his family members were seriously injured. But still, he says, the loss is great.

Comments are closed.