GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — One of the things President Barack Obama will miss most when he leaves the Oval Office was made in West Michigan.
“On the last day, what are you going to do? Are you going to look at the Remington? Are you going to look at the Hopper?” asked John Dickerson on CBS’ “Face the Nation” this week.
“I will tell you that I’ll probably look at the carpet, because I still remember, it took us years it took us a couple of years to actually get the thing in. We didn’t want to remodel in the middle of a recession, even though that’s the tradition,” Obama answered.
That carpet was designed by Michael S. Smith and created by Scott Group Custom Carpets in Cascade Township, the company said on its website.
Scott Group said it incorporated 48 colors into the rug, which took 30 workers more than 570 hours to complete. The 23 feet, five-inch by 30 feet, five inch rug features the presidential seal bordered by the following five quotes:
- “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” – President Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” – Martin Luther King. Jr.
- “Government of the people, by the people, for the people.” – President Abraham Lincoln
- “No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings.” – President John F. Kennedy
- “The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us.” –President Theodore Roosevelt
Creating an Oval Office treasure
Creating an Oval Office treasure x
Deadly Caledonia Township crash
GRAM exhibition for ArtPrize Nine
Where Chance Powell lived
Boys donate to Degage Ministries
High waves on Lake Michigan – Aug. 4, 2017
Wyoming water main break
O.J. Simpson parole hearing
Convis Township oil spill
Train hits man in Hartford
Casco Township deadly shooting – May 24, 2017
Scott Group finally finished the carpet in August 2010. The company called Obama’s mention “a wonderful endorsement.”