Woman in serious condition after fire near Battle Creek

Crews work to put out hot spots at a home in Emmett Township.(August 14, 2016)


EMMETT TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Hospital administrators say a 61-year-old woman has been upgraded to serious condition after an early morning fire in Battle Creek Sunday.

Emmett Township Public Safety officers say the call came in at 1:07 a.m. The fire happened in the 200 Block of Cherokee Street in Emmett Township, southeast of Battle Creek.

A 24 Hour News 8 crew on-scene could see smoke in the air from about a block away from the home.

Officers tell 24 Hour News 8 that the fire appears to have started in the garage of the home.

Sheila McIntyre was inside the home at the time of the fire. She escaped buy was taken to Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo with burns and smoke inhalation, where she was listed in critical condition Sunday.

Public safety officers believe an electrical issue sparked the fire.

Comments are closed.