FLINT, Mich. (WOOD) — While nine people are facing charges in connection to the Flint water crisis, Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette says the investigation is not over yet.
“I think we’re way far from done,” he told 24 Hour News 8 political reporter Rick Albin Tuesday.
The crisis that started April 2014 when the city switched from a Detroit-area water system to the Flint water sparked criminal and civil charges.
“I’ve now filed charges against nine individuals of varying levels of criminal complicity in this debacle and tragedy… and two civil suits against two big companies: one, a French conglomerate and two, a company based out of Texas who were hired to fix the problem but made a bad situation worse,” Schuette explained.
Results from a months-long investigation released Tuesday indicated the improperly treated water may have also caused skin rashes, including eczema.
Virginia Tech researchers who exposed the lead problem gave an upbeat opinion of the city’s water quality last week. Still, environmental engineering expert Marc Edwards urged residents to drink only filtered tap water or bottled water while the system heals.