GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) The start of September marks the beginning of duck hunting season and new opportunities to expand your cooking expertise. Chef Stuart James Christoff visits the eightWest kitchen for a lesson in cooking duck.
Seared Duck Breast with Blis Maple, Oyster Mushrooms, and Redskin Potatoes
- 6 oz. duck breast
- 5 oz. oyster mushrooms
- 5 oz. redskin potatoes, large dice
- Parsley for garnish
- Blis Bourbon Maple for sauce
- To properly sear the duck breast, score the fatty skin and start in a cold pan and bring to a slow medium heat to render the fat out of the skin. This takes 15-20 minutes of patient browning.
- Once skin is brown and crisp, turn the breast and cook for another 10-12 minutes. Internal temp should reach 145°F.
- For potatoes, boil the cubed potatoes and finish in a sauté pan with butter and pepper. In a separate pan on high heat with butter, quickly pan cook the oyster mushrooms and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve together and garnish the duck with Blis maple syrup.