Police: Armed man who held girlfriend captive arrested

Barricaded suspect in Walker
A deputy's cruiser blocks the street near where a suspect is believed to be barricaded.

WALKER, Mich. (WOOD) — A Walker man surrendered to police more than six hours after he barricaded himself in a home, allegedly brandishing a handgun and holding a woman against her will for a time.

“This incident was very active and had the potential to be very dangerous as there was a known weapon,” Walker Police Chief Greg Long said.

In a Thursday release, Walker police identified the man as Sean Francis Foucault and said he had been charged with two counts of assault with intent to rob while armed and a count of unlawful imprisonment.

Long said officers were called to the home on Miller Avenue north of Hillside Drive, around the corner from the DeltaPlex, just after noon Tuesday for a report of a felonious assault.

Long said the situation was reported by the homeowner, who managed to escape and told police his tenant was waving a gun and holding his girlfriend against her will. No one was hurt — Long said the gun was not fired and no one was struck with it.

Authorities from the Walker Police Department, the Kent County Sheriff’s Department and the Grand Rapids Police Department responded to the call. A GRPD Bobcat unit and other armored vehicles were called in. Officers carrying long guns and wearing special response armored gear were seen outside the house. A police cruiser was blocking off the street near the home.

“We certainly take all the precautions,” Long explained. “That’s why you see the armored vehicles. Those are to protect the officers that are up negotiating with them. Those are for the protection of all those first responders coming in to secure the scene and, just as importantly, that’s for the protection of our citizens.”

Police also evacuated some homes nearby and kept neighbors from getting to their houses as the standoff dragged on.

Around 2:30 p.m., the armed man released the woman and she ran to a waiting police vehicle, Long said. She was treated for minor injuries she sustained as she fled, police said.

Police continued negotiating with Foucault, employing a loud speaker to implore him to come out with his hands up. Finally, around 6:15 p.m., he surrendered peacefully.

Foucault was taken to the Kent County jail.

–24 Hour News 8’s Leon Hendrix contributed to this report.

Comments are closed.