Suspect arrested in deadly shooting of NC protester

Charlotte protests, Keith Lamont Scott
Demonstrators moves near a police line as they protest Tuesday's fatal police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott in Charlotte, N.C. Thursday, Sept. 22, 2016.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Police say they have arrested a suspect in the deadly shooting of a protester during demonstrations in Charlotte over an officer’s killing of a black man.

The fatal shooting of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott has fueled three nights of protests so far.  During Wednesday night’s demonstration, investigators say 26-year-old Justin Carr was shot in the head and later died at a hospital.

Charlotte, Keith Lamont Scott, protest
Police fire tear gas as protestors converge on downtown following Tuesday’s police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott in Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016.

Carr was shot as protesters clashed with police in riot gear lined arm-in-arm protecting the Omni Hotel about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. City officials say he was not shot by an officer.

Charlotte Police Chief Kerr Putney said during a news conference that the suspect was arrested Friday morning. He provided few other details about the arrest or the suspect but said that video led investigators to the shooter.

The protester was shot Wednesday night during a violent night of protests in Charlotte. Officials have since implemented a curfew that runs from midnight to 6 a.m. They also have called in state troopers and the National Guard in an effort to maintain order.

After two nights of unrest, Putney says Thursday night’s protests were relatively peaceful.

Two large employers that kept their employees home Thursday, after protesters damaged downtown buildings allowed workers to return Friday. Bank of America told its workers to stay home again Friday.

Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts said she does believe video of Scott’s shooting should be released publicly, but she says it’s a matter of when.

 

Comments are closed.