2 cats rescued from fire at Grand Rapids home

generic Grand Rapids Fire Department GRFD

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Multiple crews responded to a house fire on Grand Rapids’ southwest side Monday morning.

The Grand Rapids Fire Department said several people reported heavy smoke in the area just after 4 a.m. Firefighters discovered the smoke was coming from a two-story home located in the 900 block of Dayton Street near John Ball Zoo.

The home was vacant, but firefighters said there were a lot of furnishings.

Firefighters also rescued two cats who are now staying with a neighbor.

A total of 13 units responded to the fire.