GRAND RAPIDS, Mich (WOOD) – It was a year ago in the eightWest studio that the Cancer and Hematology Center of Western Michigan announced a new partnership with San Antonio-based South Texas Accelerated Research Therapeutics, better known as START. This program is called START Midwest and offers phase I clinical trials for cancer patients.
Questions to ask your oncologist and care team about clinical trials you’re considering:
- Has the experiment or procedure been studied before?
- In which phase is this clinical trial?
- Who will be in charge of my care during the trial?
- Will my care change based on my response to the treatment during the trial?
- What are this trial’s risks and benefits?
- How long will the trial last?
- Who will pay for my trial?
- Will my insurance cover the treatment?
- Might I be asked to leave the trial?
- Can I learn the results of the trial?