ALPINE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A Grand Rapids woman is suing Jimmy John’s after she says an employee messed up her order, leading to an allergic reaction.
Lindsay Bresnahan is asking for at least $75,000 in damages in the federal lawsuit filed Friday.
In the lawsuit, Bresnahan says she ordered a “Billy Club unwich” from the Jimmy John’s on Alpine Avenue in Alpine Township on June 2. She said she asked workers to keep Dijon mustard off the breadless sandwich, which normally comes with the condiment.
“After taking one bite of the sandwich, Plaintiff began to experience an allergic reaction, including coughing, eyes watering, and her throat beginning to close. She opened the sandwich and saw that the sandwich contained Dijon mustard, contrary to her specific instructions when she placed the order,” stated the lawsuit.
In the court filing, Bresnahan said she saw her doctor that day who recommended she continue to take Benadryl. She said because of the allergic reaction, she is unable to speak above a whisper and is now on disability leave from work.
Bresnahan said Jimmy John’s was negligent for failing to make the sandwich correctly and for training its employees in how to handle orders involving foods that could lead to allergic reactions.
Monday, 24 Hour News 8 reached out to Jimmy John’s for a response to the lawsuit; the company has not yet responded to our request.