2 burned in apartment fire in Muskegon

Muskegon, Monroe Avenue, fire
The scene of a a fire on Monroe Avenue in Muskegon. (Nov. 9, 2016)

MUSKEGON, Mich. (WOOD) — Two people were injured and a dog was killed in a fire at a Muskegon home on Wednesday.

The fire broke out at a house on Monroe Avenue near 3rd Street that had been divided into multiple units.

Firefighters at the scene said residents were bringing a moped into one of the units that may have been dripping fuel, which ignited the fire. The apartment where the fire sparked was destroyed.

A 31-year-old man and 33-year-old woman who lived at the property both suffered burns and smoke inhalation. It wasn’t immediately clear how serious their injuries were.

Firefighters noticed seven puppies in a cage in the house and rescued them, giving them oxygen. All the puppies will be OK. One adult dog survived, while another did not.