Explosive Michigan house fire injures two firefighters

Matteson Township house fire
Fire crews try to squelch the flames in a house fire in Branch County on Dec. 9, 2016. (Bronson Fire Department via Facebook)

MATTESON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Two firefighters were injured in an explosive fire investigators believe was fueled by natural gas.

It happened just before 9 p.m. Thursday at a home on Babcock Road in Branch County’s Matteson Township, southwest of Union City.

The Bronson Fire Department posted photos of the fireball on their Facebook page, saying 20 mph winds fanned the flames, which had engulfed the home by the time their crews arrived.

Matteson Township house fire
Fire crews try to squelch the flames in a house fire in Branch County on Dec. 9, 2016. (Bronson Fire Department via Facebook)

Fire crews from Coldwater and Union City were also called in to battle the blaze, which destroyed the home and everything inside it. It’s unclear if the owner had insurance.

Bronson Fire Department says two firefighters suffered minor injuries while working at the scene.

Lifecare Ambulance, Michigan State Police, Consumers Energy and Branch County Victim Services also responded to the fire.