GRAND RAPIDS, Mich (WOOD) – An obstacle for Veterans can be finding employment. That’s where Express Employment Professionals come in to help. Janis Petrini and Heather Merrick joined eightWest in studio to talk an important new initiative.
Operation Employment is a new Veteran initiative geared towards helping more veterans find jobs and also educating employers in West Michigan on the value of hiring veterans. Heather is the lead of this new program and a Veteran herself, making this topic close to her heart.
What does the veteran workforce in Michigan look like?
- Michigan Veteran Population
- Over 660,000 veterans in Michigan
- Includes 50,000 female veterans
- High education levels
- 45% of veterans have some college education
- 30% have a BA or higher
- Unemployment rate is high for some groups
- 15% for post 9/11 veterans, 18-24 year olds
Find more help at Express’ Employer Education event on Veteran hiring best practices happening on Wednesday, December 7th.