Barrel explodes, starts fire at business near Marne

Firefighters carry hoses while on scene of a fire at DeWitt Barrels on Comstock Street near Marne. (March 17, 2017)

WRIGHT TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Fire officials say an explosion inside a barrel caused a fire at a business near Marne Friday morning.

Multiple fire departments responded to the fire at DeWitt Barrels, located in the 1100 block of Comstock Street near I-96 in Wright Township.

Fire officials say one of the employees was working on a barrel when there was a spark and it exploded around 6:30 a.m.

When firefighters arrived on scene there was heavy smoke coming from the building, so additional fire departments were called in.

The fire was contained to one part of the building and there was no major damage to the building.

Fire officials said an employee suffered minor injuries, but the owner of DeWitt Barrels said no one was hurt in the incident.

The company recycles barrels, cleans and repaints them, and then redistributes them.