GRPD: Suspect surrenders after officer opens fire

Second suspect who may be armed remained at large

officer-involved shooting, worden street se, grand rapids, grand rapids police department
Grand Rapids police respond to Worden Street SE after an officer-involved shooting. (March 18, 2017)

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The Grand Rapids Police Department says a suspect gave up after an officer shot at him on Saturday afternoon, though no one was hurt.

GRPD Sgt. Terry Dixon said officers went to the area of Franklin Street and Henry Avenue SE around 2:15 p.m. after getting a report of a man chasing another man with a gun and one shot fired.

Police said that when officers found the two men just south of the intersection, near Worden Street SE, both of them ran away — one headed east and the other south. Officers chased the man heading south.

“(The suspect) turns … and a weapon was seen — he was pulling that from the waistband. The officer fired,” Dixon said.

No one was actually shot. The suspect surrendered.

“Just to be clear on that, no injuries to either officers or the suspects,” Dixon said.

He said a gun was recovered at the scene.

A second suspect who may be armed remained at large despite police attempting a track using K-9s. He was described only as a black male in his late teens or early 20s wearing a black hooded sweater and black pants.

Saturday night, police executed search warrants at two houses on Worden near Eastern Avenue in connection to the officer-involved shooting. Officers surrounded the first house using tactical vehicles and used a loud speaker to order people to come outside. They then went in and searched the house. Teams then moved to a second house, where they repeated the process.

It wasn’t immediately known precisely who or what officers were looking for. There was no indication anyone was arrested.

Police wrapped up on Worden around 11 p.m.

GRPD said Michigan State Police was investigating the officer-involved shooting, which is standard procedure to avoid any possible conflicts of interest. GRPD also said the officer involved in the shooting would be placed on administrative leave until the investigation is complete. That’s also standard procedure.

Anyone with information about what happened is asked to call GRPD at 616.456.3400 or Silent Observer at 616.774.2345.

–24 Hour News 8’s Barton Deiters contributed to this report.