Grand Rapids girl, 15, killed in rollover on US-131

Crews work at the scene of a crash on US-131 south of Wayland (March 19, 2017).

WAYLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A 15-year-old was killed and two other people were hurt in a rollover crash on US-131 near Wayland early Sunday, authorities say.

The crash happened at 2:40 a.m. on southbound US-131, south of exit 64 to Wayland.

According to the Allegan County Sheriff’s Office, the driver lost control and began to slide toward the outside ditch. The vehicle slid down an embankment and into a perimeter fence running along the freeway. It then hit the ditch running next to 12th Street, rolled and landed on its roof.

A 15-year-old girl in the back seat was thrown from the vehicle and died of her injuries. Deputies say she was not wearing a seat belt.

Later Sunday night, authorities identified her as Alexis Danielle Brown-Johnson of Grand Rapids.

Two other passengers, 19-year-old Taliyah Zziwambazza of Kentwood and 17-year-old Bianca Monet Bland of Grand Rapids, sustained minor injuries. Bland, who authorities say was in the back seat and who was also not wearing a seat belt, was taken to an area hospital. Zziwambazza was in the front seat and was wearing a seat belt.

Authorities say they believe the driver had been drinking. The sheriff’s office said Monday she will likely face criminal charges, but that the Allegan County Prosecutor’s Office is waiting for toxicology test results before deciding precisely what charges are appropriate. It can often take several weeks for toxicology results to come back.

The driver’s name is being withheld because she does not yet face any charges, but authorities say she is a 20-year-old from Grand Rapids.

She was taken to the county jail after the crash and was released Monday.

Southbound US-131 was shut down at the Wayland exit for several hours while crews cleaned up and investigated.

**Editor’s Note: A previous version of this story stated that one person was killed and three others injured, based on information obtained from fire officials on scene. It has been updated to show that one person was killed and two others injured.