Electrical issue with cart sparks fire at Battle Creek Meijer

Crews respond to a fire at the Meijer on Columbia Avenue in Battle Creek. (March 20, 2017)

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (WOOD) — Fire officials say an electrical failure on an electric cart caused a small fire at a Meijer in Battle Creek early Monday.

The fire was reported around 2:30 a.m. at the Meijer on W. Columbia Avenue.

The store’s alarm system went off and people were being evacuated when the fire was contained to the electric cart in the entryway.

Battle Creek Battalion Fire Chief Matt Beauchamp says the sprinkler system was activated and extinguished the fire.

Fire crews ventilated the area and shut off the sprinklers. No one was injured.

A representative with the Calhoun County Health Department said the store could be reopened, according to a release from the Battle Creek Fire Department.