GRPD: Suspect dies after officer-involved shooting

Malik Caery
Malik Carey. (Undated photo courtesy family)

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Grand Rapids police fatally shot a man after they say he fired at officers on the city’s southeast side.

Family members said late Wednesday evening that 18-year-old Malik Carey died as result of his injures after being shot by officers just before 1 p.m. in the 1300 block of Dickinson Street near Kalamazoo Avenue SE.

Sgt. Terry Dixon with the Grand Rapids Police Department said officers returned fire after the suspect shot at them when officers came upon the suspect’s vehicle. It’s unclear if it was a traffic stop.

The 18-year-old suspect, who is a probation absconder, was taken to the hospital where he later died as result of his injuries, Dixon said. It’s unclear how many times he was shot or where. Initially police said he was 26, but then later revised his age.

No officers were injured, GRPD said.

A weapon was recovered, but it is unclear how many shots were fired.

Grand Rapids police are not saying yet precisely how many officers open fired, but say Michigan State Police have taken over the investigation.

Officers who opened fire will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation which is standard procedure.

Police say at least one house was hit with bullets.

It appears someone else left the scene, but that person has since been accounted for, police said. Authorities are working to determine why that person fled the scene.


Carey has a long criminal history dating back before he was a teenager, according to court documents obtained by 24 Hour News 8.

He had his first criminal charge back in 2010 when he was 12. His juvenile record includes a 2011 charge of receiving and concealing stolen items and a 2013 charge of assault and battery.

In 2015, Carey was charged with assault with intent to murder and carrying a concealed weapon in connection to an Aug. 4 shooting in Kentwood, court documents show. He later pleaded guilty to assault with intent to do great bodily harm.

He was sentenced to one year in the Kent County jail followed by six months on a GPS tether and five years on probation.

Instead, Carey was recorded as a probation absconder less than a month ago and was on the run until Wednesday.


Bullets nearly missed a man who was inside his house at the time of the shooting Wednesday. 24 Hour News 8 spoke with his wife about what he witnessed.

She said it all started with a phone call.

“I saw police up there on Dickinson by Calvin. My husband called me and told me, ‘Don’t come home because there’s an active shooter in the neighborhood,'” Fredericka Mitz-Dorris said.

She said her husband watched the situation unfold as the suspect allegedly shot at police and officers then returned fire. It unfolded in the couple’s front yard.

“My husband said he had to call 911 because the police officers were shooting in our house. The bullet went through my home, into my couch and one went through my husband’s hat that sits over there on our mantle,” Mitz-Dorris said.

Wednesday evening, 24 Hour News 8 saw the trajectory of two bullets that flew through Mitz-Dorris’ house. The first went through front door. A second went through a front window and then through a couch and pillows.

As bullets flew through the house, she said, police told her husband and nephew to take their dog into the basement until it was safe.

“And my husband told me if he wasn’t up to take our dog out, he would’ve got shot” Mitz-Dorris said.

Mitz-Dorris is grateful her family is OK, but her mother, Gloria Frazier, now wants to find out why police shot without knowing if people were inside the house.

“There’s no justification for shooting at a police officer but the point is if you have people inside the home you wait before you start shooting because you have innocent life at stake,” Frazier said.

–24 Hour News 8’s Sarah Hurwitz and Lynsey Mukomel


This is the second officer-involved shooting in the city this year, GRPD said.

On March 11, MSP said 20-year-old Victor Gonzales had pulled an officer down a set of stairs and had positioned himself on top of the officer when Officer Timothy Orent shot Gonzales three times. It happened two days after police said Gonzalez repeatedly stabbed a woman during a carjacking attempt outside the Meijer on Alpine Avenue in Walker.

Gonzales is out of the hospital and in the Kent County jail. He’s scheduled to go to trial on charges of assault with intent to do great bodily harm, assault with a dangerous weapon, unlawful imprisonment and carjacking.

The Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office later concluded Orent acted reasonably to protect his fellow officer.