GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) – Life is full of excitement when you’re expecting a baby or have a little one at home, but at this stage in life your body goes through a lot of unexpected changes.
We welcomed Terri Jeurink and Ashley Vandenberg who are physical therapists that specialize in women’s health at Northern Physical Therapy.
As mothers, it’s easy to stay focused on our babies and not take time for ourselves, but the reality is that many pregnant women and new moms experience pain, especially in their backs. Many moms think aches and pains are just a part of pregnancy or caring for a newborn, but physical therapy can really help with these issues.
A PT will teach you how to make subtle changes in the way that you move, exercise, sleep, and sit to avoid pain.
Things you can do right now to help reduce pain:
- Good shoes with support or orthotics, no heels
- Belly bands to support your midsection if pregnant
- Low impact exercise like walking, biking, swimming, stretching
- Avoid stress on the back by bending, lifting, twisting
How important is it to get a workout in while pregnant?
Northern Physical Therapy tells clients to start slowly, stretch before and after, and drink plenty of fluids. If you feel pain, you can consult a PT for guidance on exercise and pain management.
- Exercise can decrease pain when done properly
- Boost energy
- Improve sleep patterns
- Reduce chances for postpartum depression
Watch the video above for demonstrations, and at home exercise ideas!
If you’re having trouble with back pain, incontinence, or any other issue, Northern Physical Therapy is offering a free consultation to the first 5 viewers who call. And, the first person who gets through and schedules their free consultation will receive a free Fitbit! They also offer free presentations to women’s groups and mom’s clubs.
eightWest special and contact information
Northern Physical Therapy
- Free Fitbit to first caller who schedules a free consultation
- Free consultation for the first 5 callers
- Free presentations offered to mom’s groups
- Locations in: Cedar Springs, Coopersville, Grand Rapids, Lowell, Grant, Sparta, Wayland, Northview Fitness Center, Wayland Fitness Center