EAST LANSING, Mich. (WOOD) — Arrest warrants have been issued for three former Michigan State University football players stemming from a sexual assault case.
Tuesday, an Ingham County judge issued the arrests warrants for Joshua J. King, Demetric D. Vance and Donnie L. Corley Jr. in connection to the alleged incident which happened on Jan. 16 at an apartment on campus, according to a Michigan State University Police Department news release. It’s unclear when the three will be arraigned.
King has been charged with one count of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, one count of third-degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of capturing/distributing image of an unclothed person. Both Vance and Corley have been charged with one count of third-degree criminal sexual conduction.
Head coach Mark Dantonio dismissed the three from the football team, effective immediately, according to MSU.
“I’m angry. I feel like the education was there,” Dantonio said during a Tuesday afternoon news conference. He mentioned all of his team had a three-hour lesson about situations similar to the January sexual assault case.
Athletic director Mark Hollis appeared shaken at one point during the news conference.
“This is my home…I expect my home to be safe,” he said.
“Sexual assault has no place in our community,” both men said.
The also said their thoughts were with the young woman and her family.
“The world is not a safe place. It’s just not. It’s more dangerous now maybe than it’s ever been,” Dantonio said.
The Associated Press reports Vance, of Detroit, was a defensive back; Corley, of Detroit, was a receiver; and King, of Darien, Illinois, was a defensive end.
MSU police said the department had logged more than 1,500 hours of investigation, including more than 100 interviews.
Dantonio said it was his intention to stick it out during the investigation and stay on task.
“Today is an end point in some respects… it’s also a beginning,” he said.
“Sometimes it takes a crisis to recenter yourself,” he added.
Earlier in the day, Dantonio issued the following statement regarding Tuesday’s charges:
“With the criminal sexual conduct charges filed against Josh King, Donnie Corley and Demetric Vance, I have decided that regardless of the final outcome of the criminal process, these three individuals have been dismissed from our program, effective immediately.
“When we choose student-athletes to come to MSU, we enter into a relationship with them and their families, and we welcome them into ours. We emphasize that success on the field is not enough, as I made clear when all three individuals were suspended four months ago upon us learning of the allegations. They also must embrace our core principles, which include integrity, respect and accountability. The individuals in this case put themselves in a compromising position and did not live up to the standards we have outlined for our program.
“Sexual assault has no place in our community, and I want to share my deep concern for the young woman affected and her family.
“This is an extremely challenging situation that we have taken very seriously and has affected everyone in this program. The high standards I have established for this program will not change, and the values that we teach to everyone in this program will be enforced. I expect all of our players and staff to conduct themselves in a manner that reflect the ideals of this university.”