GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The Frenzy was all over West Michigan in Week 2 of high school football.
We’re spotlighting these three games:
- Grand Rapids Catholic Central beat Detroit Loyola 22-8.
- Warren De La Salle shut out Grandville 31-0.
- Forest Hills Central beat West Ottawa 30-27.
>>Inside woodtv.com: Football Frenzy scores
We also had cameras at these games:
- Grand Rapids Christian beat Caledonia 42-34.
- East Grand Rapids beat Forest Hills Northern 38-21.
- Byron Center beat Thornapple Kellogg 35-14.
- Wyoming Kelloggsville beat Lakeview 56-21.
- Wyoming Lee beat White Cloud 41-0.
- Comstock Park beat Wyoming 36-14.
- Hudsonville Unity Christian beat Gaylord 38-22.
- Grand Rapids West Catholic beat Muskegon Heights 40-0.
- Hudsonville beat Holt 7-3.
- Portage Central beat Battle Creek Central 26-14.
- Stevensville Lakeshore beat Kalamazoo Central 21-13.
- Cedar Springs beat Battle Creek Lakeview 60-14.
- Allendale beat Calvin Christian 42-0.
- Jenison beat Northview 24-14.
- Grant beat Big Rapids, 21-7.
- Kent City beat Comstock 49-20.
We also had a crew at Davenport University’s season opener vs. Concordia, which Concordia won 25-6.
Aug. 31, 2017 Football Frenzy
Aug. 31, 2017 Football Frenzy x
Deadly Caledonia Township crash
GRAM exhibition for ArtPrize Nine
Where Chance Powell lived
Boys donate to Degage Ministries
High waves on Lake Michigan – Aug. 4, 2017
Wyoming water main break
O.J. Simpson parole hearing
Convis Township oil spill
Train hits man in Hartford
Casco Township deadly shooting – May 24, 2017
At the entrance to Allendale’s stadium Thursday, football fans found red bins where they could donate new or gently used clothes to those affected by Harvey. Those bins will also be in the high school office all next week.
“Anything we can do to help is really what we’re hoping to achieve here,” Allendale Athletic Director JT Hogan told 24 Hour News 8. “We’re really hoping to do our part and somewhat pay it forward so that way if, gosh forbid, it ever happens to our community, others are thinking of us as well as we are of them.”
MORE FRENZY ON FRIDAY
On Friday’s Football Frenzy, our spotlight will be on the matchups between East Kentwod and Orchard Lake St. Mary’s and Mona Shores versus Zeeland West, plus the big game between Lowell and Rockford.
Lowell and Rockford, two of the area’s most successful programs, are squaring off in a key early-season matchup. Both teams won their respective season openers as Rockford blanked Saline 14-0 at the Big House, while Lowell defeated Warren De La Salle 36-6. This will be the 28th all-time meeting between the two schools as their head-to-head record stands at 13-13-1. Last season, the Red Arrows bested the Rams 21-10 en route to an undefeated regular season and trip to the Division 2 semifinals. Rockford went 7-4 a year ago while extending its postseason streak.
The teams have played three times since 2011, and Lowell has come away with a win in each of those matchups.
“Certainly it’s a daunting task to play Rockford, they have great players and are very well-coached and (we’re) on the heels of playing a very physical team the week before,” Lowell head coach Noel Dean said. “All those things have to come into consideration so we just have a chance to play hard and be there in the end.”
Rockford head coach Ralph Munger is trying to treat it like any other game.
“We looked forward to game two, and then next week we’ll be looking forward to game three,” he said. “When you have an opportunity to play the type of quality competition that our friends at Lowell provide, it makes it a special week without question.”
–Football Frenzy correspondent Dean Holzwarth contributed to this report.