BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Jarvion Franklin ran in from the 12 to give Western Michigan a 71-68 victory over Buffalo Saturday in a record-tying seven overtimes with a record-breaking 139 total points.
Buffalo had just converted on a 25-yard field goal to open the door for the Broncos who scored in just four plays. This was the fourth game in FBS history to go into seven overtimes. The Syracuse-Pittsburgh game (Nov. 26, 2016) had a total of 137 points.
Missed, made and blocked field goals made the difference in this game. Buffalo’s Adam Mitcheson nailed a 34-yarder to tie the game at 31 with 34 seconds left in regulation. Western Michigan’s Josh Grant attempted a 52-yarder as time expired but Jarrett Franklin blocked it. Grant also missed a 29-yard attempt that would have been a game winner in the third overtime.
Both teams failed on the 2-point attempt to end the sixth OT.
Steven Clark recovered a Buffalo fumble in the third overtime but the Broncos failed to capitalize when Grant missed his 29-yarder.
Jon Wassink threw for 5 TDs and Franklin ran for 176 yards and three scores for Western Michigan (4-2, 2-0 MAC).
Drew Anderson threw for 597 yards, a Buffalo (3-3, 1-1) record, with seven TD passes and a touchdown run. The Bulls set the FBS record for the most points in a losing effort.
Game statistics from the AP:
- WMC_Bellamy 66 run (Grant kick), 13:44
- WMC_FG Grant 44, 11:04
- BUF_Martinez 64 pass from D.Anderson (Mitcheson kick), 10:16
- BUF_Reed 1 run (Mitcheson kick), 4:51
- WMC_Eskridge 48 pass from Wassink (Grant kick), 11:19
- WMC_Jarv.Franklin 20 pass from Wassink (Grant kick), 8:03
- BUF_A.Johnson 8 pass from D.Anderson (Mitcheson kick), 11:59
- BUF_Osborn 54 pass from D.Anderson (Mitcheson kick), 8:47
- WMC_Ernsberger 24 pass from Wassink (Grant kick), 4:45
- BUF_FG Mitcheson 34, :34
- BUF_Holsey 5 pass from D.Anderson (Mitcheson kick), :00
- WMC_Ernsberger 14 pass from Wassink (Grant kick), :00
- WMC_Wassink 13 pass from Watson (Grant kick), :00
- BUF_A.Johnson 25 pass from D.Anderson (Mitcheson kick), :00
- WMC_Jarv.Franklin 2 run (Watson run), :00
- BUF_Osborn 4 pass from D.Anderson (D.Anderson pass from A.Johnson), :00
- BUF_Osborn 27 pass from D.Anderson (pass failed), :00
- WMC_Jarv.Franklin 6 run (run failed), :00
- WMC_Watson 5 pass from Wassink (kick failed), :00
- BUF_D.Anderson 2 run (kick failed), :00
- BUF_FG Mitcheson 25, :00
- WMC_Jarv.Franklin 12 run, :00
|Time of Possession||31:01||28:59|
RUSHING_W. Michigan, Jarv.Franklin 36-176, Bellamy 11-131, Bogan 11-39, Wassink 8-26, Watson 1-4. Buffalo, T.Anderson 16-44, Reed 6-18, D.Anderson 3-13, Eiland 2-12, Pickett 5-7, A.Johnson 1-(minus 8).
PASSING_W. Michigan, Jarv.Franklin 0-1-1-0, Watson 1-1-0-13, Wassink 23-29-1-277. Buffalo, D.Anderson 35-61-0-597.
RECEIVING_W. Michigan, Watson 6-34, Eskridge 4-97, Ernsberger 4-52, Ricci 3-30, Bellamy 2-25, A.Curtis 2-19, Jarv.Franklin 1-20, Wassink 1-13, Arnett 1-0. Buffalo, A.Johnson 11-195, Osborn 7-138, Holsey 6-143, Nunn 2-17, Mabry 2-16, T.Anderson 2-11, Eiland 2-6, Martinez 1-64, Pickett 1-8, Reed 1-(minus 1).
MISSED FIELD GOALS_W. Michigan, Grant 52, Grant 29. Buffalo, Mitcheson 51.