KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety officers say no one was injured in a fire at a home Sunday morning.
The fire broke out around 7 a.m. at a home in the area of Lake Street and Cottage Avenue. Authorities say the home was engulfed in flames when crews arrived and fireworks that had been in the home were going off.
“When I arrived, it looked like the fourth of July,” KDPS Lt. Rafael Diaz said. “The front of this porch had fireworks exploding all over the place. The distance between my vehicle and the house was as close as I needed to be.”
The inside of the home sustained significant damage.
They managed to get the fire under control and remained on the scene for a few more hours cleaning up and investigating.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.