GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The Winter Games are here and WOOD TV8 is ready to help West Michigan celebrate with the World of Winter festival.
WOOD TV8 is partnering with the city of Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids Sport & Social Club and Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. for the weeklong celebration downtown.
It all starts Friday, Feb. 9, with mascot ice skating at 4:30 p.m., followed by WOOD TV8’s special coverage of the Winter Olympics at 7 p.m. and continuing through the opening ceremonies at 8 p.m.
>>Inside woodtv.com: Complete coverage of the Winter Olympics
The Olympics runs from Feb. 8 through Feb. 25. During that time, visitors to Rosa Parks Circle can who are 18 years old or under can skate for free on the flag-lined rink. People can also test their curling skills on a synthetic rink nearby.
Some familiar faces from WOOD TV8 will also compete against each other in an Olympic-themed ice carving contest, with the help of professionals.
The World of Winter festival will also include:
- Food truck alley featuring foods from around the world
- Live ice carving by Ice Brigade’s Randy Finch
- A Guinness world record attempt at the largest gaga ball tournament
- Winter sports-themed ice sculptures throughout the city
- Ice painting for children on Saturday, Feb. 10 from noon to 6 p.m.
- Human Hungry Hungry Hippos Tournament on Sunday, Feb. 11